The Martian - Andy Weir

I will be honest--I was not expecting much when I started this book. It was getting an awful lot of attention and even non-readers seem to be talking about it and it was winning various "choice" awards and that is often a recipe for disaster for me.

This was fabulous.

Mark is clever and funny and a fabulous protagonist on an adventure like this. He never gives up. He is in a horrible situation with limited resources, stuck on another planet and left for dead, and watching him piece together how he is going to surivive for the long haul is astonishing. I feel like I am going to run out of superlatives pretty soon, so let's just say that I love Mark, I love pretty much everyone else who appears in the novel, and I think I might love Andy Weir as well. I have every intention of picking up whatever he writes next and devouring it.

This was almost a five star read, and I am still kind of debating bumping it up, but I am not sure I am going to re-read it, honestly, and I have a hard time giving five stars to something I won't re-read. Five star books are going to live with me for life. This one I am going to look back on very fondly and try to force encourage everyone I know to read, because although it is probably getting old hearing this, everyone ought to read this.