Girl of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares - Kendare Blake

This was a good read, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first book.

A chunk of that is how long it took to really get going. It seemed like Cas kind of dicked around seeing Anna in horrible situations for an awfully long time before anything actually came of it. Watching those scenes play out was pretty horrific, as well. The pacing of the book felt off as a sequel. It felt too much like a movie, setting up the scares before the big hurrah at the end. It wasn't badly written, and chunks of it were quite scary, but after the first book, I didn't want scares so much as I wanted to know what was going on with Anna! A lot of the scares were good, though; the imagery is the sort of stuff that sticks with you, which is impressive.

I enjoyed the addition of other ghost-hunting stuff, and the idea that this was an ancient thing that had a history, because I didn't get that feeling from the first book, although it makes perfect sense. Getting to meet some people who did the same thing but had another outlook on it was fascinating; it fleshed out the world quite a bit.

The sideplot with Carmel and Thomas was faintly annoying and felt like it was there to pad out the book and/or add drama. I was not invested in it the way I should have been because it came on too suddenly and then ended too suddenly as well. It was a minor speedbump in the course of the book, and it shouldn't have felt that way.

I loved the scene with Thomas' aunt, and the further hints of voodoo and the different forms of magic throughout the book. This is a world I want to explore further, and I kind of regret that the duology is done. I'm hoping to see more of this world at some point.

The ending was pretty well done. I wasn't ecstatic about it, precisely, but I'm not quite sure what I was expecting. This whole situation was a bit messy and couldn't really be cleaned up too nicely, I don't think, so it fit, although it was not quite what I was hoping. It was bittersweet, and that is appropriate. It did tie up lose ends and give closure to the main plotline, but I am honestly hoping to see further adventures of ghost hunting at some point down the line. There aren't enough ghost hunting books in the world.