I Know What You Did Last Summer

I Know What You Did Last Summer - Lois Duncan

I've seen the sequel to this movie, but never the original movie and I'm not sure I've ever read anything by Lois Duncan at all, so this was a lot of fun.

I think I might have really loved it (and probably scarfed down the rest of what she has written, which appears to be quite a bit) had I picked it up when I was a bit younger, but this was still an enjoyable ride.

The characters were a bit thinly painted for me, but there was enough there to give a clear picture of each and they felt distinct. I was rooting for them not to die, which is sometimes more than I manage in a thriller, so that was well-done.

I was kind of expecting the twist that he was

related to the dead child,

(show spoiler)

but was thrown by the sudden reveal that he was actually

both boys.

(show spoiler)

I actually didn't see that bit coming.

This was decently suspenseful throughout. It does feel a bit strange, however, because the book both started and ended in such a way that I was left feeling like I was missing a chapter. It's not that things are not wrapped up in a tidy little bow (I like that, actually), but that there is almost nothing that happens after the big confrontation. There is no wrap-up, and there is very little build-up before things start either. I'm not sure how I feel about that--it almost feels too edited.

I'll probably pick up another book by Lois Duncan simply because they are quick and interesting reads and I feel pretty confident I will like it, if not love it.