A Tale of Two Daddies

A Tale of Two Daddies - Vanita Oelschlager

This was an adorable tale about a little girl trying to explain to a playground friend about her family.

The illustrations were cute and I liked that it could be so clear which of her fathers was which simply by their shoes, especially given that is probably most of what a child of this age is likely to see, in practice.

The questions were very much the types of things a child might ask when presented with what seemed to him to be an unusual living situation, and the matter-of-fact way the little girl answered them made it clear that this is very much her normal, and that a homosexual relationship between her parents is nothing of which she has ever been forced to fell shame.

I liked that the "Daddy" and "Poppa" were not themselves tied to traditional gender roles--we don't have a situation where, in practice, one of them is doing all the things traditionally associated with the "mother" and one is doing all the things traditionally associated with the "father" in a different kind of family. Both pitch in as it feels appropriate to their personality, which, like most people, is a mix of very different traits.

The ending in particular was sweet.

Who is your dad when you're sad and need some love?

Both, of course.

This book was provided to me for free by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.