Happy Habits (To Increase Boredom)

Happy Habits: Energize Your Career and Life in 4 Minutes a Day - Vicki Morris

I really ought to not pick up self-help books, or at least not the super mainstream ones that you can get for free on Amazon, but I was having a downer of a day and it was free! So I grabbed it.

I won't say that the idea or that the habits themselves are necessarily bad--it probably does work. The problem is attempting to slog through the book itself.

It is 150 pages. It could have been maybe 10 and covered the same information to the same depth with absolutely no problems. The repetition was starting to drive me mad (though given the author is trying to convince you to repeat actions until they become habits, perhaps that was intentional?). The language is extremely, horrifyingly, debasingly basic for something so intensely career-focused.

The odd suggestions about meditating to the "Source" (I clearly read too many fantasy books, because that one made me snicker every single time it showed up, which was, as mentioned above, way too often), just felt...odd. I don't mind religion in my self-help stuff, but I like to recognize it at least. That's obviously personal preference in that particular regard, but given there's no suggestion from the outside (that I could find) that there is any spiritual practices at all involved in the book, it is probably worth a heads up.

The habits themselves generally fell into two categories.

1. Extremely basic stuff that you should probably be doing anyway just...in order not to feel terrible all the time? Maybe for people who have really terrible habits it might be helpful, I'm not sure, but picking my way through the simplistic and sneering language seems like it would kill any good self esteem I might have gotten from any of this.

2. Weirdly specific stuff that is only useful in extremely specific office job circumstances. For people who work in those kinds of situations, again, this might be useful if you can wade through to find out the stuff that you need, but I feel like for quite a few of us (including some of us who do work in an office!), the advice was completely useless and the habits made no sense.

All in all, I think I'll be avoiding free self-help books from now on. There's a (personally) weirdly large market for the ones you have to pay for--this may be a situation in which "free" means "not worth paying for".